Do you have essential oils on hand? A small bottle of essential oil is actually very delicate. How to store and use it is not clear. This article will talk to you about the use and deployment of some essential oils.
Essential oil preservation
- Put it in a dark glass bottle, it is not recommended to put it in a plastic bottle, because the essential oil is corrosive and may chemically react with the plastic, dissolving some chemicals in the essential oil (the essential oil plug is a consumable)
- Avoid direct sunlight, avoid high temperatures, it is recommended to put in a cool place
- Avoid high-temperature differences and humid environments. Best storage place: solid wood box or solid wood cabinet, because solid wood products are not easy to heat up or cool down, and essential oils are stored in wooden boxes or wooden cabinets, without exposure to sunlight, and the temperature difference will not be too large
- Remember to close the lid tightly after using it, as the chemical molecules are easily oxidized and deteriorated if exposed to the air for too long.
- Tip 1: After each use, wipe the mouth of the bottle with a paper towel dipped in 75% disinfectant alcohol, which can prevent the cap from being oxidized and sticky and delay the deterioration of the essential oil.
- Tip 2: For delicate essential oils such as rose essential oil, you can use paraffin film (search for parafilm) to seal the bottle cap to reduce the volatilization of essential oils (money also volatilizes 😥 )
- Store out of the reach of children and avoid children’s use alone!
- Record the opening date or dispensing time of essential oils
- Avoid fire sources, essential oils are easy substances
How to drip essential oils?
Pick up the inner stopper of the essential oil bottle, you will find a drip hole in the middle (the size of the drip hole is proportional to the flow rate), and there is a tube with air holes next to it. Wait for the essential oil to flow out, so that the flow rate of the essential oil is slow and you will not lose too much; on the contrary, for thick essential oils such as vetiver, it is recommended to put the pores upwards and let it drip down quickly.
It is not recommended to shake the bottle so that the essential oil can drip out quickly. The mouth of the bottle may be stained everywhere, and the amount of dripping will be difficult to control. The bottle body is tilted at 45 degrees and waiting for the essential oil to flow out is a better way.
Essential oil plug flow rate
At present, the flow rate of essential oils on the market is divided into: 0.6 / 0.7, 1.0, 1.2, and 1.5. Pick a suitable flow rate for each essential oil. When blending essential oils, the action is more elegant. The essential oil is the same as the switch of tap water, or the dripping is very slow until I fall asleep, which makes me have a lot of small theaters in my heart.
The standard flow rate is 1.0, with 20 drops equal to approximately 1ml
Some essential oils have small chemical molecules, such as monoterpenes and oxides (it’s okay for beginners to understand essential oil chemistry). When using a standard flow rate to drop essential oils, the flow will be super fast. Replace this type of essential oil with a 0.6 inner plug.
The inner plug with a flow rate of 1.5 is suitable for essential oils with larger chemical molecules, such as vetiver, or cold-pressed vegetable oil. After blending the essential oil with the vegetable oil, use the inner plug with a faster drip rate. When the oil is taken, it can be quickly and elegantly.
If the essential oil or vegetable oil drips really slowly, impatient people, teach you a small tip:
Use an essential oil bottle opener or scissors to open the inner stopper, and remove the essential oil bottle from the stoma tube of the inner stop.
Essential Oil Concentration Calculation
As I just mentioned, using an inner plug with a standard flow rate of 1.0, 20 drops are about 1ml. If you want to mix a 10ml bottle of compound oil with a concentration of 5%, how many drops of essential oil do you need?
Below is a simple formula:
Volume (mL) x Concentration (%) x 20 = Number of drops of essential oil
So a bottle of 10ml / 5% concentration of essential oil → 10 x 5% x 20 = 10 drops of essential oil needed
Here is my own quick and easy calculation:
Just remember 5ml / 5 drops of essential oil/concentration 5% (5% is a more commonly used concentration, so the concentration is unchanged to convert the capacity ml)
10ml / 10 drops of essential oil / 5% concentration; 20ml / 20 drops of essential oil / 5% concentration
If the concentration becomes 10%, multiply the number of drops of essential oil by 2; 5ml / 10 drops of essential oil/concentration of 10%
What should I do if the essential oil expires?
First of all, first, simply judge whether the product on hand is a pure essential oil (single or compound) or essential oil or massage oil with added vegetable oil. If there is a product with added vegetable oil, drip it out and smell it. It is recommended to use it, which means that the vegetable oil has deteriorated. (It is more accurate to drip out and smell. Usually, the mouth of the bottle is the most easily oxidized place. After use, wipe it with a paper towel often, which can delay the oxidation of the oil on the bottle’s mouth)
Essential oils are oil-soluble substances. They are usually well preserved and can be used after the expiration date. However, after some chemical molecules combine with oxygen, they will change the chemical composition, that is, deteriorate. Therefore, its efficacy will be the same as when it was first purchased. Not the same, if used on the skin, it may increase the irritation of the skin.
- The cold-pressed citrus essential oil has a recommended shelf life of about 2 years. The fresher it is, the better the feeling of use will be.
- The essential oils of conifers and conifers, spice, and vanilla leaves can be stored for about 3-5 years.
- The more indulgent and fragrant essential oils are Radix, vetiver, sandalwood, and so on.
- Because flower essential oils are very expensive, you can save them when you buy them, but don’t be reluctant to use them. After all, when essential oils are placed, some molecules will volatilize in the air.
Really expired and spoiled essential oils, use them to clean your home!
- When washing clothes, put a few drops in the laundry detergent. When you turn on the washing machine after washing, there will be a slight aroma.
- Drop on cotton balls, put in the shoe cabinet, deodorize
- Drop in 75% disinfectant alcohol to disinfect the environment
- Add in baking soda, put some in the refrigerator, and trash can to deodorize
- Add it to citric acid powder, shake it, and you can clean the bathroom floor
- Note: People who are in bleach, do not use it with any other cleaning products at the same time, it is easy to generate toxic gas.
Proper use of essential oils can help improve the texture of life. Every drop of essential oils is a precious plant essence and a gift from nature. Cherish them!